Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Oh yea...Botox Appointment

So we went yesterday to meet Dr. Gupta and talk about Botox! Thank goodness Grant's PT Amelia went with us because she helped a lot! Of course anytime I had to lay Grant down or the doctor tried to touch him he screamed :)

I really liked the doctor himself! He was very informative and knew his stuff. He quoted a lot of studies and statistics even from years ago. He quoted studies and publications and made me feel like he really knew what he was talking about! But when he started talking about what all he wanted to do to my itty bitty one year old I was not too thrilled.

He said Grant would benefit most from getting botox in the back of the neck, in his peck muscles, in two spots on his arms for his hands, in his lower back, in his upper legs and in his calves. I think that was it! Really...you want to stick needles into my son that many times!

Not only that but his criteria is that he sees a child for a minimum of 2-3 years and some he could see longer! Grant would get the botox, come back in 6-8 weeks to see how well it worked, schedule to come back three months later for more botox and so on! So every 3-5 months he would be getting botox. It would cause muscles that are already weak, like his neck, to become even more weak which I was not happy about either! When you have a kid that can only hold his head up for a couple minutes at a time I don't want it to get worse. He did say Grant would learn how to build up those neck muscles but how long will that take? Will he get them built up just in time to mess it all up again for the next round of botox?

I have been iffy about botox since I heard about it and it put another check on the con side when the doctor told me that using botox for children with disabilities has not been approved by the FDA! I want something that has been given permission to be used! I just don't feel like there is a reason to put poison into my child's body if it's not necessary. That being said Ryan and I have come to the decision that we are going to hold off on botox and try this ABM first! We will save botox as a very last, have no other options, option!

No comments:

Post a Comment