Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Little Man's Big Day!

Yep it was botox day today :)

Started out Tuesday night and having Matthew spend the night at Ma's house. Since we had to leave the house at 5:30 this morning I figured it would be easier for him to stay. Wasn't sure it was going to work but with some coaxing and distraction from Ma, Grant and I were able to come home without Matthew (which was extremely weird!).










(My happy little man the night before)
























So we got home and he got a bath (per request from the hospital) and gave him his night time drink and he was out by 8:30! So this morning came (4:15 came way too soon!!) and we were out the door by 5:40! Once we got to the hospital, Grant Man did SO good!! He didn't cry for anyone. He even let Dr. Gupta mark on him. Look at how big my little man looks!
















































He did SO great! Even let me lay him on the table and played with Elmo and Cookie :)




























He even happily sported his gown :)



















Then it was time to go back and it went downhill fast! He was laying on the table and three nurses came in. I knew it was time. I gave him a kiss and told him I loved him. When I pulled back I saw the lip. For those of you that know Grant you know "the lip". It's that pitiful, heartbreaking pouty face right before he lets out the cry. It breaks my heart on a normal day and today it's more like someone ripped my heart out and was stomping on it! But I held it together. I turned around and started packing up Elmo and Cookie. One of the nurses told me he could take that back with him if he wanted. So I tucked it under his little arm. He was still crying. I turned back to the bag and lost it :( Only for a minute but the tears were streaming.

So we waited...all of maybe 3o minutes before our pager went off. We then went in and met with Dr. G. He is amazing! Such a great doctor. In fact, so great that people come from all over the country to get botox done at that hospital and with him (recently one from North Carolina). How lucky is Grant to have such a great doctor on his side? Anyway...I digress :) So Dr. G showed us some x-rays of his back just after they injected the botox and then moments later (see below). Then he talked to us about the muscles and what to expect and all that medical talk after any procedure. But he did it in a way that we understood and didn't talk down on us. He then said that they were taking Grant back to his recovery room and that we would be able to see him in a few minutes. That was followed with a warning that all the nurses and operating room personnel thought he was so cute so to make sure we leave with him :)




(The top image is his back (laying on his stomach). You can see the needles and the botox had just been injected. The bottom image is just two minutes later and look at how fast it spread throughout that muscle. So amazing to me!)






No sooner than we sat back down they were calling us back to see him. As soon as we went through the maze of halls they opened a door and we heard him screaming! He was hysterical! He had just woke up and was really freaked out by everything. I immediately grabbed him and he calmed down! Drank have a small can of apple juice out of a straw! :) We went home and that was that!

At home we played and played until naptime. After naptime we did some running around and played and played some more! I can already tell a slight difference in how loose his ankles are. We are expecting to see small changes starting after a couple of days. The big changes (which comes from injected that lower back muscle) will happen after about 2 weeks. That's the change I can't wait for.

Oh and he ate like a champ today! He did so great with dinner...didn't even spit out (accidently) his mac and cheese like he does! The only food that came out was the pork chops (on purpose) that he decided he didn't want!

I can't tell you how incredibly proud I am of my Grant Man! He continues to amaze me everyday! I know that before too long he is going to be pestering his big brother like little brothers do :) This was just another climb in this journey!

If you made it this far...THANK YOU!! Thank you for sticking with it and thank you for loving my Grant Man enough to read this novel!! :) (and please excuse any typos! I'm one tired momma!)

1 comment:

  1. How exciting! I can't wait to hear how well it works for him! Way to go Grant!!

    Liz

    ReplyDelete